Saturday, January 9, 2016

Wha-wha Worthy

I was put to death when I went in for surgery.

Don't forget to interject a good Michael Jackson joke - oh, wait.

The anesthesiologist told me beforehand that I would be brought below an autonomously functioning level.  All of my vitals and governing chemical would be done through him rather than my own brain.  My brainstem was essentially dead.  If my heart rate got too high, he would use some kind of potassium based chemical to bring it down.  Too low, he released a sodium or calcium based chemical on the heart’s conducting fibers.  Instead of my own breathing, I was administered a breathing tube and respirator.  And I thought to myself it would be great to have something like that in everyday use.  Getting to stressed and just pump the brain full of some kind of serotonin.  Not motivated enough?  Hit a button to boost your adrenal release.  Not putting on enough muscle or need to lose weight?  Just flip the switch for some somatotropin.  But then I remembered that we already have stuff like this: they’re called drugs and the people who use them are addicts.  So much for that idea.

0 comments:

Post a Comment