Friday, October 11, 2013

Bridge-to-Bridge

       So the Bridge-to-Bridge was a huge success!  The gathering started at 7:30 at Justin Herman Plaza on the corner of Market and Steuart Street.  That is the piazza that has that weird abstract art fountain in the shape of elongated cubes, with water coming out the ends.
Eat your heart out, MC Escher.
       The actual race started in front of the Ferry Building, followed the Embarcadero along the piers, past Fisherman's Wharf and Aquatic Park, up Fort Mason, through the Marina, along Chrissy Field, turned around at the bottom of the Presidio and returned to the Marina Green.  The weather was in a comfortable high 60's and tapered off to high 70's at the height of the day.  I had stashed some clothes in my locker at the gym, thinking I was going to need to change immediately into warmer attire after the race.  But that day was an anomaly for San Francisco, so I was able to stay in my sweaty, damp running clothes and not freeze my ass off.  


       Finishing time for your's truly was 37:50.  Pacing was around 9.6 mph, which is roughly a 6:06 mile per hour pace.  A little bit under 10 mph.  That is my best time, so far, for a 10k.  Unfortunately it wasn't official. That's right - I have relapsed and am crashing races again.  Can't help it - I compete too much.  I'd go broke from entry fees if I paid for every single race.  Besides, I'm not paying 50 bucks for a 6.2 miles race.  I have crashed cheaper races that were longer distances before.  Plus I thought it would be more bad-ass to show up, clean house and then casually go home.  I'm cocky like that.
        My client and friend David also showed up to the race.  We met up at the end and had a nice walk back along the course all the way to the Embarcadero train station.  David came in at a very respectable 55:00 minutes.  David has been a client for 4 years now.  David was and still is an avid hiker.  Before me, he had never worked out in a gym before.  4 years later he's a running and weight-lifting machine.  What an inspiration!     
The two champs!
       I had crashed the night before at Charle's house.  After showering at his place after the race, we went to Squat and Gobble at Haight and Fillmore.  Charles had eggs benedict, I had a Greek Omelette.

Squat and Gobble.  For some reason I think gay
neighborhoods make more jokes about gayness than straight
people do.  It must be a rite of passage or entitlement thing.  

       Then we walked up to the Castro and sought out Charles' prized vitamin shop, Active Nutrition.  If you haven't been there, I suggest you pay a visit.  Cheap, high quality supplements of all kinds, a huge selection on protein bars, and, best of all, Todd, the owner, who offered to suck me off if I wrote him a good yelp review.  Totally worth your time and money.  This place puts GNC and Vitamin Shoppe to shame.    

Judging by its appearance, you wouldn't think the owner
would be soliciting sex for good PR.
       Afterwards, I said goodbye to Charles and his cats and headed home for Abnormal Psych homework.  And that concluded my day.  
       Stick around on the 20th for Morgan Hill Half Marathon.  This time I plan to beat that 1:22 official time.  That's right - I am actually registered for it.  I have an incentive to do well.  This should be interesting.    

0 comments:

Post a Comment