Sunday, August 11, 2013

MIA and Triathlon

So I haven't posted anything in a while.  Life got in the way.  But now that Wes and I are hyper vigilant with the social networking PR, you should expect to see a lot more from me.  That's the first piece of news.  

The second piece of news is I just finished my second triathlon: TriSantaCruz.  The event took in Santa Cruz, west of the San Lorenzo river.  The swim was in the Pacific Ocean at Cowell Beach, near the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk.  

I had never done an open water swim in the ocean before, but I had been practicing in a lake over the past two weeks.  I thought the two mediums would be more or less the same.  Not the case.  For the first hundred yards, I choked on seawater, fulfilling my daily intake of sodium.  I almost lost breakfast.  I resorted to keeping my head above the waterline.  That cost me some time.  

My heart monitor strap also constricted by diaphragm, making breathing somewhat difficult.  I felt like I was on the verge of drowning.  

Luckily, I kept pushing through it and got accustomed to the putrid taste, enough to be able to do breast stroke.  I was able to pace another racer doing freestyle.  That kept me pushing hard.

For this race, the transition area was a quarter of a mile away from the ocean.  That added a couple minutes to my final time.

Biking was a struggle.  My legs didn't feel quite warmed up.  They were still a little sore from my workout on Thursday.  That's a long recovery time.  Pistol squats will do that to you.  

The run, however, was awesome.  Since I was not so concerned with time in this race, I did an extra 5k just to get the extra burn.  Finished a 15k in just under an hour.  It might not be the fastest time, but it was good for me considering everything else that came before it.  

Final time was 2:38.04.

Afterwards, me, my hosts and one of my old college friends went to a Brazilian restaurant for lunch.  I had a Caesar Salad and plantains.  Oh yeah, and my protein shake.  Can't forget that.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment